I live by a few simple rules. Here they are:
Don't be afraid to look ridiculous.
Have fun making people laugh while looking ridiculous.
Try new things.
Don't be afraid to fail, or fall.
Laugh. A lot. It's okay to cry and feel crazy and get angry (um, I wrote about that part of life last week and possibly scared some people). But then you laugh.
Get up! Again. And Again. And Again.
Oh my god, this is so cliche I feel like a fucking Hallmark card. But damn, those people at Hallmark are really smart because well, they just are. I've been feeling down on my luck, mad at the world, why me and all kinds of waaaa lately. When I borrowed Lucy's snowboard and gave the
I got up. I GOT up. I was determined to make it down the
"She did it! She made it!" the kids cheered. We were all laughing, they were clapping and I felt like I had indeed really made it. Conquering the
I am living life by a few simple rules and I am shredding, baby--I know that for sure (this week).
Here's what else I know for sure this week:
- This print, this quote, sums up my outlook on life. Oh there will be tears and pain and mess and yuck and crazy...but eventually there will be lots and lots of laughter. I am mildly obsessed with prints like these from Minted.com. Click here for more information about their awesome, artsy new art.
- I am going to the Avett Brothers concert in May and I know that I cannot f*cking wait. I've been obsessed with this band since my brother put their song Paranoia in B Flat Major on his annual Songs You Can't Live Without Mix CD. Remember mix tapes? Ha. My brother makes me an awesome mix CD and it's my favorite gift every Christmas. Anyway, um, did you read what I wrote? I AM GOING TO AN AVETT BROTHERS CONCERT! Oh yeah, I can't wait to get my hipster on and rock the hell out of that show.
- Good things can happen from the Nororvirus. Yep, mmm-hmmm, I just typed that. Not only did I discover that underneath those snotty tween exteriors there are nice, sweet people in my house. The story of how my kids took care of me when I was sick was featured on WhatToExpect.com. Awww, now more people will know my kids aren't jerks all the time. See? That's good. Click here to check it out.
- Lucy is 10. It's been a week since she turned double digits. I know for sure that I still kind of can't believe it. It. flew. by.
|She kind of looks like she can't believe it either.|
Here's the video I made her in case you didn't see it when I posted it earlier. Or in case you want to watch it again.
Decade of Lucy from Jumping With My Fingers Crossed on Vimeo.
- The Oscars were waaaay better than I thought they'd be. Best show in years. And the speeches were so good.
- Lupita wins the award for being an amazing person. I want to give her all kinds of awards and I haven't even seen 12 Years A Slave yet. Her Oscar speech was great, but the speech at the Essence luncheon? Holy wow. I'm sure you've seen it, but here it is again. I watched this with my kids. Such a great message about self-love and compassion and beauty.
- Daffodils make me happy. And so do polka dot coffee mugs and gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
- I'm a sucker for some reality TV. I know it might seem crazy to some people, but I'm going to DVR Lindsay Lohan's docu-show on OWN this Sunday and I'm looking forward to The Real Housewives of New York's season premiere. I can't help it and I'm sorry that I'm not sorry.