After a long day of mothering, baking, cleaning, reading, shopping, exercising, playing, educating, refereeing, storytelling (okay and tweeting, texting and facebooking and possibly crying, just a little), putting the kids to bed is...hmm, what's the best word to describe it?
|Lucy has always been a little mama and loves helping out. I love how she's reading her little brother "Stories for Girls."|
Sweet? Some nights.
|JT loves to draw at bedtime. He makes pictures for EVERYONE.|
Life affirming? Sure, okay, some nights.
But a lot of nights the best word to describe bedtime is demoralizing.
For real, check out the definition:
[dih-mawr-uh-lahyz, -mor-] Show IPA
verb (used with object), de·mor·al·ized, de·mor·al·iz·ing.
to deprive (a person or persons) of spirit, courage, discipline,etc.; destroy the morale of: The continuous barrage demoralized theinfantry.
to throw (a person) into disorder or confusion; bewilder: Wewere so demoralized by that one wrong turn that we were lost for hours.
to corrupt or undermine the morals of.
There are definitely some nights when I go in the kids' bedrooms to tuck them in and find myself thrown into disorder and confusion and I can feel lost for hours after a bedtime struggle.
I mean it's parenting 101 right? The more exhausted you are the crazier your kids get. It's cliche, but true--one more story, I have to pee, watch the tricks I can do on my bed, did you know I can count to "five teen" and more. Even the older kids are bad--oh I forgot some homework, I haven't wanted to talk to you all day except for right now when I want to tell you EVERYTHING and more.
They literally suck the energy out of you until you are crawling out of their room gasping for breath. "Please...go...to...sleep...I...must...get...out...of...here..." Yup, my parenting morale gets pretty much f@#&ing destroyed.
It's not as horrible as I'm making it seem, it's just exhausting. These crazy, tiring, demoralizing parenthood nights just make the life-affirming, sweet parenthood nights that much more precious, that I know for sure.
Here's what else I know for sure (this week):
- Maybe I'm so tired because I'm so old. Anyone see this Friends gem online this week? Yikes!
- Here's the best pep talk you'll get EVAH. Because I love SoulPancake, this kid and Space Jam. Everything about this is so good, you must watch. And then figure out what's your Space Jam?
- Vine is all the rage. I feel all cutting edge because I'm making six second videos on Vine. Ch-ch-check me out. Come play with me.
- I'm a little obsessed with Dallas. Here's my story/recap/review for MomPulse in case you missed it.
- Screw bedtime, homework time is actually such a sweet time at our house (mostly).
- I love "Thrift Shop." This song is so. much. fun. You may be all I "hella won't" listen because the language is shocking and I get it. But I can't help myself, it's too good. "I'm gonna pop some tags...This is f-ing awesome."
- Eating a giant bowl of ice cream and watching Tina Fey=awesome. I'm going to miss Liz Lemon and 30 Rock. I haven't watched the last two episodes yet, that's my plan for my wild and crazy Saturday night (that's the where the whole bowl of ice cream and Tina Fey come into play).
This is still one of my personal Liz moments, funny:
This clip is just one of the reasons I'll miss this show.
What do you know for sure (this week)? C'mon, we're friends, share what you know. Leave a comment here or on the Facebook page.
Come play with me on Instagram @jumpingwithmyfingerscrossed.
Oh yeah, and come follow me on Twitter @AngelaYBlood and subscribe to my MomPulse YouTube channel here.